OPEN: 8am-5pm: Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon & Tues. Sunday / Holidays: emergencies only. Closed Wed & Thurs (our weekend). Call or text 530-306-5823 seven days a week, 24 hours a day, to leave a message. We will call/text you back during normal business hours.
At home euthanasia appointments offered at 10am, 1pm and 3pm. Phone consults offered at 8:15am and 4:15pm.
* Note: Some folks ask us "Why does Dr Sara require a phone consult before euthanizing a cat?" The reason is that most cat owners wait too long to euthanize their cat. Unfortunately, cats are so "stoic" that they wait until the very end to show their discomfort. By that time, they have usually become very skinny, hypersensitive and very reactive to the initial sedation and pain medication injection. As such, it is much better to provide cat owners (and owners of aggressive, reactive or fractious pets) with additional pre-sedation medications (see Section A-2 above) prior to the initial injection. This greatly increases the chances of a peaceful passing for you and your pet.
FYI - If you want to COMPARE PRICES for equivalent at home euthanasia/cremation services (or we are fully booked) click here.
Over 100 Five Star Reviews
Thank you for considering Passing With Dignity to assist you and your pet during these difficult times. Dr. Sara has developed a 2-part system tailored to meet your specific needs. Your cost is determined by 1) the weight of your pet, and 2) any optional after care or extended travel services that you desire. See Sections A & B (below).
"I'm really glad that we spoke with Dr. Sara. She answered all of our questions in a professional and caring manner. Not only was she very knowledgeable, but she explained things to us in terms we could understand over the phone."
To set-up a euthanasia appointment please click on the Appointments tab to request/reserve your preferred appointment date and time. It is best to schedule your appointment a few days in advance. But, we fully understand that emergencies do happen. We will try to accommodate you, if possible.
If you would like to discuss your pet's quality of life, or help in determining the timing for the possible euthanasia of your pet, or if your pet is reactive, fractious (i.e. growls or hisses) or might be aggressive towards the Doctor... pre-sedation medications might be required. Dr. Sara would be glad to set up a phone consult or an at home consult with you prior to booking an appointment. Phone consults are available at 8:15am and 4:15pm for up to 45 minutes. The cost is $65. At home consults are available at 10am, 1pm and 3pm for $400 (within her service area) for up to one hour.
IMPORTANT: Prior to booking a euthanasia appointment for an aggressive, reactive or fractious (i.e. growls or hisses) dog or cat a phone consult with Dr Sara is required to determine if your pet is a candidate for a safe at home euthanasia. Please let us know if your pet does not do well with strangers, injections, or at veterinary appointments. If so, we can discuss appropriate safety and/or pre-sedation measures with you. If the doctor arrives at your home and finds your pet to be reactive, factious (i.e. growls or hisses) or is aggressive, the Doctor she will leave (pre-euthanasia) and you will forfeit 100% of your appointment fees. Please click on the Appointments tab and text/call us with the requested information to schedule your consult.
To set-up a quality of life, euthanasia timing or pre-sedation consult with Dr Sara, please click on the Appointments tab and text/call us with the requested information. Once received, we'll do our best to get back to you within a few hours to confirm your requested consult date/time. Thank you!
1. Sedation, Euthanasia and Travel (up to 15 miles, <25 mins) included:
Note: A euthanasia for an aggressive, reactive or fractious (i.e. growls or hisses) dog or cat requires a phone consult with Dr Sara prior to booking an appointment to discuss possible pre-sedation measures with you. Please see Section C below.
IMPORTANT: If you live on a snow/ice/grave/dirt/mud/rutted road, please let Dr. Sara know in advance as she normally drives a rather low-clearance 2 wheel drive car. She does have access to a 4 wheel drive vehicle if known in advance. If she encounters a snaw/ice/gravel/dirt/mud/rutted road in her 2 wheel drive car, or if the road is impassable or requires snow chains, she will return to the office and you will forfeit your reservation and full appointment fees . Just let us know :-)
It is important to consider "in advance" how you would like to take care of your pet’s remains post euthanasia. There are generally three options: home burial, communal cremation or private cremation. Home burial would be up to you and in accordance with your local, county, city and HOA rules. Per Country guidance, home burial requires that your pet is buried at least 4 feet deep and 200 feet from any ground water source (e.g. well, creek, stream, lake, pond, seasonal waterway, etc). Please check into your local laws as there may be additional home burial requirements.
As an alternative to home burial, Passing With Dignity offers both communal and private cremation services when done in conjunction with our at home euthanasia services.
Note: We cannot accommodate decreased pet drop-offs or pick-ups. So sorry.
1. Communal cremation: Your pet is cremated with other pets. Their remains are respectfully spread by our partner's trusted staff on their private lands. This is a very acceptable and cost effective alternative to home burial. Communal cremation saves you from the laborious task of digging a burial hole at least 4 feet deep and 200 feet from any ground water source (see above). Please pre-arrange for communal cremation with Dr. Sara as we will transport your pet for cremation after euthanasia. Note: Pet transport ($95 Value) and communal cremation are included in the figures below. Communal cremation does not return your pet's remains to you.
2. Private cremation: Your pet is individually cremated. Their remains are carefully gathered and placed into a beautiful cedar photo urn and returned to your home via UPS signature services (shipping included) usually within 2-3 weeks of euthanasia. Included shipping saves you the time and effort usually required to schedule and pick up your pet at a distant crematorium. Please prearrange for private cremation with Dr. Sara as we will transport your pet for cremation after euthanasia. Note: Pet transport ($95 Value), Cedar photo urn ($125 Value), UPS home delivery ($40 Value), and private cremation are included in the figures below. All of the above would usually add up to over $500 at a private crematorium.
3. Paw print services: If your pet is cremated via communal or private cremation you can purchase a hand-crafted ceramic paw print (or extra paw prints) for family members. Your pet's actual paw is professionally imprinted into a ceramic disk, with their name, hand painted with your preferred color, glazed and twice kiln fired for durability (i.e. unlike with home paw print kits). Available paw print colors include blue, black, red, and green. Stand included. Please let Dr. Sara know in advance how many paw prints you would like so that we can prearrange for this service.